I have done some further testing and I have come to a conclusion.
Here is what I have :
Squeezebox 3
SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
DNS and DHCP run on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

I have enabled the host option on the DHCP reservation for the MAC
address of the squeezebox and have set the hostname to "Squeezebox".
I have enabled the property "Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records
for DHCP clients that do not request updates (for example, clients
running Windows NT 4.0)".
I have set the name of the squeezebox to MySlimDevice in SlimServer.

I have run through the configuration on the network settings again, the
squeezebox asks for an IP address and the DHCP server registers the
Squeezebox in DNS with the hostname myslimdevice.

So it is the name you give your squeezebox in the SlimServer software.
Well, at least in my case it is.

Hope this helps.

--
ASS-Ware