malaugh wrote:
> I would like to switch my music to a NAS.  The options are:
> Keep running my PC to run Squeezecenter.
> Make a NAS from an old PC and run Squeezecenter on that

The alternative is to get a cheap PC, nearly any will work, and run
SqueezeCenter on it. Move the music to the cheap PC, or not, keep it on
the NAS if you want.

Run [EMAIL PROTECTED] on the cheap PC, so you can save the world while it
runs all the time.

> I would like another option.   How about if Slim Devices made a small
> device that ran Squeezcenter, and I was able to attach it to my
> network.  .... How many people would buy this?

I expect very few. I could be wrong, I don't work for SD/Logi.

It would be a subset of folks who have a NAS, and it can't cost more
than $100 or so, since you can get a cheap PC from craigslist for about
that.

I think a $400 PC/ripper/disk would be more attractive. I just ordered a
one terabyte disk from newegg.com, it was $130. it can't cost much for
the basic PC and CD drive. I bought a complete computer fro Newegg for
about $500, it had a quad processor, three gigs of ram, and a 500 GB
disk. Its massive overkill for running SqueezeCenter.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/