PLynas;343423 Wrote:
> Many moons ago I responded to a thread on the audiophile forum asking
> what people thought should be changed if there was ever to be a
> Transporter V2 released. My suggestion was that a cheaper version of
> the Transporter would be a good idea, my argument being that
> significant cost reduction could be made by reducing the screen display
> size to a minimum and reducing the size of the unit itself. My reasoning
> was that I would love to be able to have a Transporter for the sound
> quality offered, and would be prepared to sacrifice these things if it
> made it more affordable.
>
> Needless to say, my suggestion was shot down by a number of
> 'audiophiles'. However since then, the Duet has been released (small
> and with no screen) and more recently the Squeezebox Boom, with a
> reduced screen size and even a smaller remote.
>
> So my question is, having seen the Duet and the Boom, would anybody be
> interested in a (cheaper) Transporter offering the same sound quality
> but losing some of the other features.

Then buy a Duet. If you need or want 24/96, pony up and buy a
Transporter. Other then the better DAC and power supply, the
Transporter is really all about the extra display area, rack mount
size, TransNav™ controller knob, and "Audiophileness" of the unit. It
is the flagship "no compromise" part of the NMP line-up.

Audiophile wise, there might be something to be said for a less
expensive Transporter Lite that has no DAC section for Audiophiles that
wish to use an outboard DAC that costs 3 times what a Transporter does.
I think most of these folks still want all the display and rack mount
whistles though. And really the only reason other then the TransNav™
controller and display to want this is if they need 88.2 or 96KHz
sampling frequencies because if not just buy an SB3 and use an external
DAC of your choice.

But as I have always said, if one is going to buy a Duet/SB3, linear
power supply, and a really good DAC, one might as well just pony up for
the Transporter and get the bells and whistles as well as the higher
sampling frequency choices.

I would like a Transporter Lite to go with my Dodson DA-217 MK2-D
Digital Processor. But I am also very happy with what the Transporter
does for me and don't run it into the Dodson. Transporter balanced out
into my pre-amp suits me just fine.

Note: When I sold my CD Transport, I could not bring myself to sell the
Dodson because of the great deal I got it at (and some day I might buy
another CDT).

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5