What I get out of your posts is that the box itself actually is just a
terminal ;) I'll keep track on the load of my server to see if I can
find the root cause. So would it not be smarter to have the menu
browsing handled by the squeezebox itself without needing to contact
the server, or am I stating something impossible here?

It would be nice to have immediate responses on the box to simple
commands such as menu browsing and volume control. That connection to
the server is needed to access music info, of course...

--
maxman