damager;331228 Wrote:
> Agreed - I used to think Subscription Services users were crazy as I
> built my ultimate mp3 collection.  Then I signed up for Rhapsody just
> to give it a try - and I'm hooked.  Everything is there, the shared
> playlists are great, and I don't have to acquire / catalog / tag /
> store / backup music files.  I'm really seeing the beauty of these
> services now.

Yep, this sums it up nicely. I think a lot of people will come around
to this point of view after they give the subscription model a try.

As others have noted, this can be a problem for those located outside
the US. I'm in Australia, but surprisingly, in the past I have managed
to subscribe to the Musicmatch then Yahoo services for a couple of
years (through a loophole in their signup). I also had a paid Pandora
subscription that worked fine via the squeezenetwork for the past year
(I just upgraded to Squeezecenter 7.x lately and it no longer works).

These services have increasingly become more locked down for those of
us outside the US. So this year I won't (can't) be paying for any
subscriptions. At the same time, there is easy access to plenty of free
music out there. If I want I can get any song I want for free, but -
when I could - I was happy to pay for a decent online service.

I'm trying to understand who exactly is winning by closing off access
and preventing willing customers like me from paying for these
services. If anyone perhaps its me??

Very strange.

--
Musketeer