funkahdafi;347293 Wrote:
> And if you can (obviously Songbird can, so I don't see why SC could not)
> decode the files using quicktime and at the same time get pass the DRM,
> great. Why not do it?
There is an additional part of SC playing Apple DRM files that Songbird
doesn't have to deal with: network connected players.

Songbird gets QuickTime/iTunes (it doesn't really matter which does
it?) to play the file. Great, it play it on the decoding PC directly
and is not streamed or transmitted in any way to another device.

For SC7 to play the same file using QuickTime/iTunes, it would need to
get hold of the decoded stream and then send that to another device
un-encripted. *This* is what will cause legal issues with Apple.

I'm sure that it is possible for SC7 to do this. I'm also positive that
if Logitec/SlimDevices were able to do it (both legally and technically)
then they would have done this long ago. The same goes for every other
vendor that produces network media players. You have to think, if it
was as easy as you are proposing, why hasn't anyone else done it?
(Sonos, Roku, etc.)

--
funkstar