Amnesiac;347365 Wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying the RA stream issue... the point as regards server
> transcoding of a format unsupported by the players themselves is still
> valid. :-)
>
> A.

Interesting, so you claim that encoding audiofiles with a codec you
somehow have the intellectual rights to use gives you the same legal
status if you protect the files by some drm-scheme?

Seriously, I'm guessing that the alienbbc plugin "gottaway" with it
largely because a) the bbc-streams where not intended to be protected
b) bbc don't own the rights on real-audio anyway c) the violation would
have to be argued base on the (mis)use of real-audio decoders, something
which the alienbbc guys did not have anything to do with, AFAIK.

OK, so some third-party developer could do it with a plugin. But
SERIOUSLY do you think apple would let them get away with that without
putting up a fight? I think not. Still someone might come along and do
it. But really, as much as I dislike drm, this would be borderline
seriously borderline stuff and potentially a major risk for anyone
taking picking it up.

So please, tell us where you see the loophole here. By now I gather
that you really think this is a realistic thing to thrive for.

--
bhaagensen