Siduhe;347564 Wrote:
> As I understand it, what Last.fm expects you to do when it serves up
> music to you (as opposed to you scrobbling to it) is one of
> listen/skip/love or ban - telling it what you think of the music it's
> suggested for you (which it uses to refine those suggestions further
> via collaborative filtering).
>
> If you skip before the track has reached the submission point (halfway
> through the track) it will not be scrobbled to your profile.  The more
> you do this, the better the recommendations should get.  You can also
> manage your recommendations via http://www.last.fm/home/recs (although
> I don't much care for the new system of adding/deleting from My Library
> - the old slider style "a bit more like this" was much better IMHO).

I think people are getting muddled. Couple of points here...

a) If that's what you expected to do, i would not use the service. Most
of the time i like to sit back and enjoy the music - not have to
constantly interact with every track. And sometimes i would be happy to
hear the whole track, even if im not that keen on it and want to hear it
again (i owe that to myself and the artist). Sure, if a track that i
really like come on i will love it, and like wise if its really of the
mark then i might skip it. But this does not mean i should have to have
the Controller in my hand and constantly think and interact.

b) The recommendation system is not about Scrobbling per-say - -it is
the result of your scrobbling.-  - people need to understand the
difference and separate the two. Scobbling is music you chose, then the
recommendation system kicks in which you can tweak. But scrobbling
recommendations themselves its like some kind of strange feedback loop,
constantly telling itself that you absolutely do like what it say you
do.

c) When you listen to a track without skipping, this does not mean you
like it - it means that don't particularly dislike it. This is a clear
logical difference.

--
autopilot

*Server:* SC7.2 (Windows Vista 64)
*Players:* Squeezebox 3 (main room) / Squeezebox Receiver (bedroom) /
Softsqueeze (office).
*Amps:* Cambridge Audio 640a (main room) / Trends TA10.1 Class-T /
Logitech 5.1.
*Speakers:* Mission 701's (living room) / Kef Cresta 1's (bedroom) /
Logitech 5.1's.
*Remotes:* Harmony One (IR) / 1 Beta SB Controller / 1 Official SB
Controller.

'LAST.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/domrevans/)