Michael,

"That was easy"....   I didn't think I had the MS firewall enabled but
sure enough it was and port 9090 was not enabled.  Enabling it gave me
instant access to the slimserver.  Thanks for the tip.

While researching the CLI I came across an article which describes
controlling slimserver from a VB program.  The article is here -->
http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2204179/hands-controlling-slimserver-vb

The VB program is available here -->

http://www.itwriting.com/slimserver.php

I can program VB and with port 9090 enabled this program connects right
up to my slimserver so I can use it as a guide to build my own time
based controlling program.

Thanks everyone for the initial information...I'm sure I'll have some
CLI questions as I get into it.

--
mskvarenina