Perhaps something along the lines of a "Favourites" list?  I'm thinking
along the lines of the "flag" or "mark" idea:

1.  Listening to whatever is on the current playlist, and hear a song
that stands out above the rest;
2.  Use some functionality on the remote to add the currently playing
track to an ad-hoc "Favourites" playlist;
3.  Meantime, the current playlist continues;
4.  At some point in the future, navigate to "Favourites" (which would
require a new menu item under the "Browse Music" hierarchy) to play back
your selected favourites.

For the additional functionality in the remote, how about something like
"press and hold <x>"

e.g. "press and hold play" or "press and hold "repeat" to add to
"Favourites" playlist.

This would require a new functionality for one of the remote buttons,
plus an addition to the current "Browse Music" menu tree.

I have no idea about this sort of thing, so don't know how feasible it
would be to implement.  But having thought about it, it would be quite a
cool feature and one that I would probably use.

>From a PC, it would then be possible to sae the "Favourites" as a
"normal" playlist