Yes, channels 1, 6, and 11 are spaced (in the US at least) such that
they don't "overlap" with any other channels. 1 and 2, for example,
while they are spearate, do share a little bit of spectrum. So you
could try a site survey, see what channels nearby routers are running
on, and try to set your wireless channel as far away as possible from
close-by strong signals.

This helped me in an apartment - my Wii's wireless connection was
worthless if I used channel 1, but channel 6 was perfect.

--
androidtopp

My SB3 is the most expensive part of my stereo. So I'm not going to brag
about it.
And my SBB as well...Is it wrong that my alarm clock is worth more than
most of my stereo components? I need to work on that.

http://www.last.fm/user/androidtopp