No, I haven't done that.

I was just replying to your specific point that you "...can't modify
and then overwrite an existing playlist. It must be renamed and the
previous one deleted.  :("

Which isn't true.  You can load a playlist, add or remove songs, and
then save it under the same name (overwriting the old one).  I do this
frequently.

This has nothing to do with your preview request.  I admit there is no
way to do that currently (via the remote control, anyway).  For me, I
know most of my songs well enough to not need a preview.  When I am in
the mood to audition music, I usually do it from the PC.  I have
Winamp open to preview, and then construct the playlist using the
Slimserver software.