I had alot of problem with softsqueeze I found another player called
squeezeslave. I don't know where I found it mine is called
squeezeslave-0.7.5.1-linux-i386-svn20167 if you need to google...

It seem to work much better on my system (ubuntu). You will not get a
GUI so you are forced to use the webinterface as GUI.

I think that I read somewhere that the controller code could be used as
a player. I didn't manage to get this working, After I manage to compile
it it wanted to connect to a Receiver... It might have to do that I used
7.2 and not the latest (7.3) stuff, but I didn't try to much...

--
zingo