Maybe a stupid question, but important for me. Even my cheapest MP3
player is capable to create a listing of all items and tags. The
squeezebox Duet needs a 30-60Mb server pack to achieve this. This
prevents me from using a cheap NAS for file storage. I think this
really is a major drawback.

What I would like: use the Squeezecenter software to configure
playlists and album info files. Store these on the NAS, make the
Squeezebox connect to the NAS to retrieve these info, just like my
simple cheap MP3 player can do.

Why would this be difficult to achieve? Al alternative would be to
extend the Squeezenetwork server to support this feature. So, just
store the metadata on this server and retrieve the files from the NAS.

This is even more important if you want to store the files in a
lossless format. Hiring server space would be quite expensive and
cumbersome, due to limited download speeds.

--
RudolfJan