agillis;359813 Wrote:
> Thanks for your questions. I will get some more documentation on the
> site as I have time. Here are the answers to your questions. Maybe I’ll
> add some of these to a FAQ on my site.
>
> 1. No there is no Xwindows GUI on VortexBox it’s all done through the
> web interface. I may add one if people are interested.
>
> 2. If you connect to it with a browser you get a minimal interface and
> the SC interface.
>
> 3. It’s Linux so it should run on almost any PC hardware from the past
> 10 years.
>
> 4. I have the FLAC and MP3 files shared by default on read only shares.
> That way the kids don’t delete my files. There is also a writable share
> if you want or add or edit files or if you want to use VortexBox as a
> general file server.
>
> 5. I’m pulling the tags from CDDB I have almost 200 CDs on my VortexBox
> so far and the data seems good. Of course some people will still want to
> edit them.
>
> 6. Yes a rescan is auto-started after every rip.
>
> 7. Fedora is RPM based. You can use yum to update. For example “yum
> update SqueezeCenter” from command line would update to the latest
> version.
>
> 8. Yes VortexBox comes preloaded with 7.2.1
>
> I have been trying to figure out the best way to add plugins. I could
> have a web interface that adds them. Or I could just include a bunch of
> popular ones.
>
> Donation button! Good idea I guess I could get a few bucks for my work.
> Although I think I’m like most of you and I do this for enjoyment :)

I've had an old 766/1 GB box sitting in my office waiting for me to set
it up as a stand-alone, always-on Squeeze server. I'm willing to give it
some testing from the perspective of a Linux newbie. I'll load up some
of my CD's, copy some of my existing library, and generally "kick the
tires" if you'd like, but as a warning my testing time is limited at
the moment with completing construction in my basement for Thanksgiving
(an extra guest room & bath) though I should make that "dead line" (&
I'm the one who'll be dead idf I miss it ;)

SS

--
Secret Squirrel