Just to chime-in.... I have a dual 500MHz Dell
Precision workstaion with 2Gb RAM and a 640Gb MicroNet
RAID-5 connected via firewire 800 that stores my
>70,000 tunes on WinXP SP2. I have been a SlimDevices
customer since around v3 of the slim server software.

An initial scan of the library takes over a day.
Always has. You just need to sacrifice a day and half
for the initial scan with large libraries IMO. I
turned-off scheduled rescans, as I have never been
able to get SS to pick-up new music on the rescans. I
have added music to my library in the past, but SS
never seems to "see" it. For me, the scheduled rescan
is only good after correcting tags. That's about it.
If I add music, I need to forfeit 2 days of a hard
rescan of the library.

-- Dondi