toby10;361203 Wrote:
> In regards to not broadcasting the SSID:
> -  I understand CatBus' explanation for "less secure" in situations
> -  I've long understood that it is of little benefit to stop even a
> beginner hacker
>
> ....but I'm curious as to why this would also (possibly) make a WiFi
> more "flaky"?
> Do you mean more likely to experience signal drops?
rov mentioned that hiding the SSID "...occasionally makes my wireless
pc's flaky...", but I can't speak to his specifics. I do know that when
I was first getting WPA going on Win2K that I would get frequent wifi
disconnects when I was hiding the SSID, and none when I un-hid the
SSID. I read various posts/articles reporting similar conflicts, so it
didn't seem like I was the only one. But I don't know enough about the
black magic of wifi enough to understand the nature of the problem,
much less explain it.

Fwiw, I had no problem with hiding the SSID when I was using WEP, but
of course the real problem is that I was using WEP! "Giving up" hiding
the SSID in exchange for switching to WPA wasn't a difficult choice.

--
aubuti

Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it. MSI Wind desktop (Ubuntu
8.04) feeding: Basement: SB2 > JVC JA-S44 > ESS Tempest LS8;
Kitchen/Dining: Duet > AudioSource Amp100 > 2 pairs Polk RC60i; Living
room: SB3 > Technics SA-EX140 > Bose Acoustimass 3; Bedroom: Boom +
SBC; Study: Duet > Klipsch ProMedia 2.0; Kid's bedroom: SB2 > Klipsch
ProMedia 2.0
http://www.last.fm/user/aubuti/