Intrigued by this thread I wanted to test my system to see
what happens. First of all, I'll make no bones - it's a
fairly high-end system, so I wasn't expecting any problems:

  Intel P4, 3.4GHz with Hyper-threading
  1 GB 400MHZ dual-channel DDR
  OS/home on a Western Digital 200GB PATA drive with 8MB Cache
  Music on a Western Digital 250GB PATA drive with 8MB Cache
  Linux (Fedora Core 2 SMP kernel)

(Don't ask how it got to be such a high-end system for
Slimserver, it just did.)

I loaded it up with as much as I reasonably can (slimserver wise):

   2 * wireless SB2's (Flac to Flac)
   1 * wireless SB1   (Flac to Wav)
   1 Softsqueeze (on server) (Flac to Flac)
   1 WinAmp (Flac to MP3)
   1 PocketPC PDA (Flac to MP3)

All players were playing different music.

With all of this going on, the SS and decoding/re-encoding were
struggling to break 10% CPU load. No dropouts, excellent
performance.

To load it further I did a wipe and rescan, which put the overall
CPU performance up to effectively 100%. The only interruption from
sound on any of the players was when they tried to move to
the next track and couldn't find the database entry anymore.
Restarting worked fine even during the scan. All the players and
the web interface also remained responsive.

OK, I only have a small library (~6,500 Flac songs) but scanning
took roughly 15 minutes for the lot.

(BTW the machine was also running a mail client which was regularly
checking for email and Mozilla.)

Throwing hardware at the problem does help, even if it isn't
necessary.

--
"The biggest problem encountered while trying to design a system that
was completely foolproof, was, that people tended to underestimate the