I have read that strange problems like this are sometimes caused by the
wireless card in the SB working loose.  You can (temporarily) try wired
networking to see if it will go away in order to isolate a wireless
problem, but if the card is loose it'll still cause erratic behaviour
in a wired SB.

Given that your SB is now out of warranty, you may want to check it out
before giving up completely.  To open the SB, you need a Torx
screwdriver, although I'm not sure what size.  But just push the
wireless card in its mini-PCI slot in a bit and see that it isn't
loose.

Hopefully you don't need to do this, but if it starts acting up again
it's worth a try.

--
Mark Lanctot

Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta)
Stored: Boom (PQP1 - early beta), SBC (beta - no battery)
Sold: SB3, Duet