The problem with the old system is that it just didn't work.  I had a
squeezebox, a friend had two and we both had problems with the fast
forward.  I prefer to scan forward and hear the music at 2x, 4x, etc.
But it just didn't work well.  It would skip forward and then when you
stopped it to play at regular speed it would lock up or jump to a
completely different place in the song.  The rewind was much worse than
the forward.  If it had worked like it should have, I would definitely
prefer the old method.  But since it doesn't work well and likely never
would, I prefer the new method.

--
lemmy999