sbjaerum Wrote:
> By forwarding port 9000 from my ADSL router to the machine running
> slimserver, I am able to connect to my slimserver from work. I can also
> stream using http://homeipadress:9000/stream.mp3.
>
> I am not a security expert. What are the security consequences for my
> home network if I permanently open port 9000?

On the one hand, it's very unlikely that anyone is going to exploit the
open port.  For a number of reasons

1) The only thing there is a fairly specialized web server, meaning
that the script-kiddies are going to pass it right by.

2) For the non script-kiddies, who is going to _want_ to break into
your system such that they'd go to the trouble?  If you're on a DSL or
cable connection then your IP is easily identified as a home
connection.  It's just not worth anyone's time.

On the other hand the HTTP server and the SlimServer application aren't
used to being on the public Internet so I'm sure that security against
exploits isn't a terribly high priority.  Given that very few
SlimServers are facing the Internet unprotected it's unlikely that any
existing security holes are going to be found and then patched.

--
JJZolx

Jim