snarlydwarf wrote:
Torgo;366179 Wrote:
thanks for the tip, but I don't think its gonna happen. With a library
that big any step towards automation is a good one. I don't know of any
programs that will automagically nest ripped music any deeper than
root_directory/artist/album. And if I had to maintain it manually I
just might end up chipping my teeth on the barrel of a shotgun. Though
I use EAC to rip my music I tend to use iTunes (and The Godfather) to
keep it all organized (really the only thing I think iTunes does well)

Though if you had suggestions for better options I'm all ears :)

Surely your ripper can make 36 directories, ie, a hash of the first
character of the artist name.

ie /root/a/artist/.. /root/b/bartist etc.

SMTP and NNTP servers have done simple hashed directories for years for
this reason.  A single level of hashing can, even with English patterns,
reduce directory search time by 50% or more.

Undoubtedly, but how much time does a modern OS/FS spend looking through directories? And how much time (in ms) are we actually talking about? I'm betting it won't be a lot. Having said that, I actually split my artists in alphabetical groups, for folder browsing convenience.

Regards,
Peter