I'll respond here to both yours and sepb's comments.

JJZolx wrote:
> Databases like that are a bit of a chicken and egg problem.  How do you
> expect to populate it?  In order for it to be at all useful, you'll
> need to convince developers of tagging and/or ripping software to
> integrate with it.  That's going to be a tall order without many
> thousands of CD entries just to start.

Fair point, and one I'm thinking about. I'm not too worried at this stage.

> GENRE data is going to be interesting.  I suspect that if you solicit
> data from the public, that it's going to be all over the board for any
> given work.  I think this is why FreeDB often returns no GENRE, and
> very often no YEAR when ripping a disc.

I agree - genre data is problematic. However, the user will be able to
choose whether or not to use any supplied data, i.e. they will be able
to ignore the Genre information.

> No CONDUCTOR field?

See later...

> No fields for soloists?  I would think distinguishing between
> BAND/ORCHESTRA/ENSEMBLE and individual performers would be valuable,
> instead of lumping them all into the ARTIST field.

See later...

> You'll need an ARTISTSORT field.  In fact, you need to have a sort
> field for any field that potentially contains a proper name, so a
> CONDUCTORSORT if you have a CONDUCTOR field.

The key point I was trying to make (and failed, it would seem) is that
the data will *not* be tied to the tags.

I fully intend to have separate data for all contributors (BAND,
ORCHESTRA, CONDUCTOR, etc. etc.) The user will then be able to choose
how that data is written to their tags. So, they might choose to have
separate ARTIST tags, or one, concatenated ARTIST tag.

Using sebp's example:

"I'd prefer seeing something like conductor='Carlos Kleiber' and
ensemble='Wiener Philharmoniker' in the database, and a way to ask the
system to forge the ARTIST tag with these (say
ARTIST='%ENSEMBLE%;%CONDUCTOR%', or maybe
ARTIST='%CONDUCTORSORT%;%ENSEMBLE%' if you prefer)."

I envisage just this functionality. The DB will store conductor='Carlos
Kleiber' and ensemble='Wiener Philharmoniker' and the user will be able
to choose whether to store those tags in their files, or concatenated
them in the ARTIST tag, or both.

Another of sebp's comments:

"say some movement is lengthy, and for some reason it's been splitted on
two or more tracks on one album, but left as one on another. It would
not work."

That's not going to happen in practise; if it does, it will be
relatively uncommon. The reverse may happen (two or movements inside one
track). That eventuality is relatively easy to deal with (e.g.
concatenate both movement descriptions in the TITLE tag).

R.