>if you set a TPE2 value in your tags, AND set SC to treat your mp3s
>TPE2 as album artist, (not band), then SC won't think you have ANY
>comps, but it will ALSO suppress a VA albums artists from cluttering
>your artist list.
>
>the drawback is that SC won't know anything is a comp.

Correct.  The presence of an album artist tag logically means that the album is
not a compilation.  If you want/need an album artist="Various Artists" for
other apps (which will work exactly the same - i.e. also not a compilation),
but would still like SC to display them as compilations under the sepcial
"Various Artists" artist name, then set a compilation tag, and then they will
be compilations, listed under the "Various Artists" artist.

>and due to a bug, anything with "Various Artists" in TPE2 won't show up
>in the Home > Artists list, UNLESS you set a value in the SC settings
>for somewhere else for comps to be listed.

I don't class that as a bug as such.  The special "Various Artists" only lists
compilation albums.  An album by "Various Artists" that is not a compilation
will not be listed there.

One could argue potentially that in this case "Various Artists" should appear
as a normal artist listed under "V", showing only non-compilation albums that
are by "Various Artists", but it's really a sign of not well tagged songs (as
far as Squeeze Center is concerned).

Phil