Thanks for all of the input. True HD is very important to me so I think
I'll be willing to sacrifice the improved interface of XBMC. I won't be
using it at all for music either since I'm perfectly happy using the
SBRs for that and I don't really listen to music that much in the home
theater anyway, it's usually only when I'm whole-house syncing that
it's on in there.

twylie, thanks for running the tests. With the PCH you said you had
some stuttering and jerkiness with 720p. Is that perhaps where putting
the drive in the PCH case will improve over accessing across ethernet?
Also, does anyone know what res a ripped Blu-Ray is anyway?

Gibbo, is the noise of the internal drive noticeable? My Comcast DVR
has an internal drive and it make a negligible amount of noise. In fact
I never notice it. I will look into AnyDVD. If anyone who reads this has
actually used it for Blu-Ray ripping please let me know how it has
worked for you.

--
ptrainer