I haven't used this (yet), but it IS real.
Replaygain requires something similar to tagging to be done, which then
evaluates all the files on an album, and creates a couple of parameters,
which I believe are added to the song files as tags.  There is an album
gain and a track gain (I believe).  Squeezecenter then has a feature in
the settings to choose how replaygain is used.  I believe there is a
"smartgain" setting which allows squeezecenter to choose the
appropriate logic.  The album gain is based on the average level of the
tracks on an album, and the gain on the whole album is then adjusted by
this amount.  This allows the track-to-track variations on an album to
be maintained.  If, however, you are playing a mixture of tracks from
multiple albums, it would use the individual gains for each track to
make all the tracks play at about the same level.
Again, I haven't actually implemented this (yet) on my setup, but
that's one of the next things I plan to do (and as a result, some of
the information in this post may not be completely accurate).

--
tcutting