Labarum;389429 Wrote:
> Has anyone made such a comparison?
>
> The items I have in mind on the UK market have a wood, well particle
> board, cabinets, and are £30 from Maplin
>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27962
>
> Can others recommend other active speakers that would produce a system
> about or below the price of a Boom? Music industry monitors, perhaps.
> Most PC speakers are pretty poor.
>
> At the very least the spaced speakers would offer advantage. In some
> domestic circumstances the three box solution might be preferred for
> all sorts of reasons.

In my personal opinion, I really think it depends on -HOW- the Boom is
going to be used or how the active speakers are going to be used. This
in my opinion only comes down to when the rooms start to get larger and
the advantage of separating the speakers come into play. This is not a
huge advantage because there are not many room sizes that this applies
to because as rooms become to large, even the powered speakers run out
of gas and just will not due either.

An SB3 and a pair of AudioEngine A2's or better yet A5's are very
versatile, but at two to three times the price of Boom. So looking at
that, since the Boom is basically the very same thing, for the money
it’s almost impossible to beat and has the huge convenience of being
all-in-one package. Boom is very easy to move around.

Before Boom, I made a portable system out of an SB3 and a pair of AE
A5’s. This worked great and I carried the SB3 and A5’s in one of those
Rubbermaid cadies that hold cleaning supplies when I wanted to move
them. Now that I have two Booms, I find the SB3 and A5’s tend to stay
in one place.

Just looking at it from a price point of view, Boom wins hands down.
One has to spend two to three times the amount of Boom on powered
speakers and a Classic to equal what the Boom already does. Since the
Boom has come out, it is very hard to make a case for buying a Classic
and powered speakers. And the only real case in my opinion is only when
the application makes more sense to go with powered speakers because
Boom doesn’t work as good in the specific situation. Those are few and
far between.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5