This was a sad accident. The incident, as well as the subsequent
investigation, showed the worst side of government action and
cover-up.

iPhone;390278 Wrote:

> It’s a sad state of affairs when something so important, costing so
> much, and carrying human life is often built by the lowest bidder
> because the government is involved.

Are you suggesting government contracts should be awarded to the
highest bidder? If a contract is properly spec'ed, isn't the lowest
bidder the most appropriate choice for a fixed price contract? Do you
know that the relevent NASA contracts were fixed price ones?

iPhone;390278 Wrote:
> On a final note, STA-099 Challenger was never meant to go into space. It
> was the test unit for stress, heat, and vibration because computers back
> in the 70’s couldn’t tell us if building a lighter weight orbiter (that
> NASA now wanted) by using a lighter airframe could withstand all the
> stresses involved in launching then making a winged full glide
> re-entry. After being the test bed for future lighter orbiter, it was
> decided to retrofit and upgrade it to OV-099 instead of scraping it.

Are you implying that the light construction contributed to the crash?
I thought the explosion was caused by a O-ring failure on an outboard
rocket engine and had nothing to do with the structural integrity of
the shuttle unit. Perhaps our colleague who was there could weigh in.

Here's a web page with similar and additional info, for those
interested:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/shuttleoperations/orbiters/challenger-info.html

--
Goodsounds