Thanks for the input guys.  Have pretty much decided to buy a pair of
Western Digital My Book 500GB Home Edition drives which are on special
offer down here for 88 euros (approx £78 sterling, US$113).  These have
USB + Firewire + eSata connectivity which gives me some options and
should keep me going for a couple of years at least.

I think I'll keep all the "smarts" on PCs and stick to "dumb" disks on
the KISS principle, of which I'm a big fan.  Don't really need NAS
because the laptop server is virtually silent and on most of the day.

Regarding backup times, I did a test with Windows Backup and did my
110GB library in about 4 hours from a WD Passport 160GB to a Lacie Big
Disk 250GB both external via USB2.0 on a friends new-ish laptop under
XP Pro.  Not too bad overnight I guess.

And yes - my disks are regularly defragged and I always make sure there
is enough space on the destination drive so that Windows does not have
to compress (even though it may decide to do so anyway).

So thank you and good night, or -obrigado e boa noite- as we say around
these 'ere parts.

Graeme

--
GRC

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it . . . SB3 / Naim /
Dynaudio & some other stuff.