I highly recommend the Canon Powershot SD line. I've had one for years,
and it's been great. My wife got the 'SD1100IS'
(http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD1100IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B0012YC7AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235748290&sr=1-1)
model last year, and it also takes fantastic pictures. I've recommended
them to friends, and everyone who has bought one loves it. It's
shirtpocket small, but has great optics and firmware; the pictures are
generally outstanding. I've had photography snobs see my pictures and
be wowed, then try to start a conversation about what kind of fancy
gear I used. When I tell 'em it was just a little pocket
point-and-shoot camera they look startled and change the subject.
Battery life is very good (obviously longer if you're not using the
flash), but get a spare battery anyway, so you can keep using the
camera while one battery is in the charger. And of course, get a big SD
card or two (8 GB cards have come way down in price, and hold a ton of
photos). Oh, and get one that has an actual viewfinder window, in
addition to the LCD screen. You might not use it often, but there are
times when it comes in handy.

--
Dogberry2