A bit off topic... my HOPE is that squeezeplay will address some of the
shortcomings of the other available software players (SoftSqueeze and
squeezeslave).  The development the squeezeplay player is actually
supported by "slim", and the plan is to support many more audio file
combinations - other than just 44.1k for example (some network radio
streams are at different rates, and don't play correctly on the other
players).
The software players don't seem to work as well with other aspects of
internet radio streams (or some of the other music services) - with
issues such as funny buffering, really slow startup times.

I am hoping that the squeezeplay audio player will develop into a
stable product AND that somehow it could be ported into a very low
overhead player utility such as squeezeslave, to allow a PC to
reasonably emulate the hardware players without using a lot of the host
PCs resources.

I understand good syncing is also a challenge... I would imagine a
reasonable compromise would be to stabilize the behavior of the players
delays (if possible), so that it would be possible to tweak other
settings (delays) to optimize the sync behavior for a given setup.

--
tcutting