Thanks for the thoughts.  I'm glad there wasn't some completely obvious
solution; I'm a little rusty on my AV tech stuff, but not a complete
idiot at least.

I need the SB3 upstairs because it's also my alarm clock (its time
display is nice).  It sounds like I've made a tactical error and should
have bought another SB3 for downstairs, but I was trying to be
unobtrusive and use fewer displays and lights.

Some kind of z-wave control would definitely be nice; I've got a Mac
Mini there that could probably do something.  I suppose I could also
write a small app that runs on the Mac Mini, receives the SB3 IR codes,
and sends them to the SBR via WiFi.  All more work than I was hoping
for; maybe I'm better off just selling the SBR, buying an SB3, and
putting it face down or somewhere behind the stereo cabinet.

Anyways, thanks again for trying to figure a solution!

--
aiken