I'm in agreement that RAID 1 or 5 is not the right answer.  These
technologies are intended to provide high availability of data.
Relying on them for protection against data loss and as a substitute
for backups is a mistake.

I maintain two backups.  The first is the weekly backup to an external
drive that I pull out of the safe, plug into the computer, and then
place back in the safe.

But because I'm doing daily changes to tags, artwork, ratings,
playlists, etc... I also want to mitigate the chance I'll lose a week's
worth of work.  So I have another backup routine that automatically
syncs everything to a second internal drive on a nightly basis.

To me this is a far better use of two drives than making a RAID 1
array.

--
jsprag