Goodsounds wrote:
> I've accumulated a variety of USB cords from various purchased devices.
> MP3 players, external drives, PDAs, etc etc. Some have thick gauge
> wiring, some have thin. Some are straight, some have cylindrical pieces
> midway (looking like a snake that swallowed a mouse) that I presume do
> something.
>
> I've long since lost track of which wire goes to which device. Does it
> matter?
>
> Thanks

I would say no, but some here might know more.

The "swallowed mouse" is a ferrite bead.  It stops high frequencies
exiting electronic devices which might interfere with other sensitive
devices such as TVs or radios.  It rounds off the corners of digital
signals.  Will it effect data?  Probably not.  Most of the time,
electronics is a trade off.

The wikipedia knows all: