Steve Bernard, Jr;409324 Wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM, iPhone  wrote:
>
> > Seems I didn't make my point. It is very simple. Why bother with MP3
> > files with "side information" files attached to mathematically get
> > lossless when one can just use lossless files? I would bet the farm
> > that one can't take an MP3HD file and remake the orginal file from
> the
> > MP3HD file! Which is what my difinition of lossless is.
>
> Well, that hypothesis certainly seems testable:
>
> --
>
> C:\Documents and
> Settings\Steve\Desktop\mp3HD_Toolkit_for_Windows_2009-03-16>mp3hdencoder.exe
> -br 320000 -if test.wav -of mp3HD.mp3
> [evaluation copyright notice snipped]
>
> frame 10091
>
> Encoding successful (frame 10091)
>

> Playing time:    263.5 seconds
> Encoding time:    22.4 seconds
>
> C:\Documents and
> Settings\Steve\Desktop\mp3HD_Toolkit_for_Windows_2009-03-16>mp3hdDecoder.exe
> -if mp3hd.mp3 -of mp3hd.wav
> [evaluation copyright notice snipped]
>
> Decoding of file: mp3hd.mp3
> Average bit rate: 816 kbit/s
>
> Decode frame 10091 in CD-Quality
>
> Decoded mp3hd.mp3
>

> Playing time:    263.5 seconds
> Decoding time:    16.1 seconds
>
> C:\Documents and
> Settings\Steve\Desktop\mp3HD_Toolkit_for_Windows_2009-03-16>dir *.wav
> Volume in drive C has no label.
> Volume Serial Number is D8DB-EE1B
>
> Directory of C:\Documents and
> Settings\Steve\Desktop\mp3HD_Toolkit_for_Windows_2009-03-16
>
> 03/23/2009  06:32 PM        46,489,676 mp3hd.wav
> 01/20/2009  09:19 PM        46,489,676 test.wav
> 2 File(s)     92,979,352 bytes
> 0 Dir(s)  23,435,821,056 bytes free
>
> C:\Documents and
> Settings\Steve\Desktop\mp3HD_Toolkit_for_Windows_2009-03-16>fc
> test.wav mp3HD.wav
> Comparing files test.wav and MP3HD.WAV
> FC: no differences encountered
>
> --
>
> Looks the same to me.
>
> -Steve

Let me start by saying I don’t know enough about MP3HD to state facts
just mainly ask a bunch of questions that I think need to be answered.
What I do know is that FLAC is lossless and can be turned back into an
exact copy of the original and that it plays as a lossless copy of the
original. All MP3 codecs to date have thrown music away as part of
reducing the file size. If one were not still doing that, why would one
associate their product with MP3? Basically MP3Pro was MP3 with a wider
allowable bandwidth using a slightly less aggressive file reducing
codec. And if they are not dumping any notes, then are they limiting
bandwidth to reduce file size? And that is why they are using the term
"Mathematically” lossless because most people can’t hear so high or so
low?

>From your post, it looks like you started with an MP3HD to start with
and end up with WAV files to me Steve. Don't follow what that proved?
There is no proof the MP3HD is an exact copy of the CD it was ripped
from to start with or that it could be converted back to what was on
the CD to start with.

To me just them using the term "Mathematically" lossless means that
something is a miss or they would just come out and say it's lossless.
And by "Mathematically" they might mean pretty much what you tried to
show: look the file sizes are the same so they have to be the same,
which doesn't necessarily have to be true. Probably so, but doesn’t
have to be. Again don’t know enough about it, but how they are putting
it out to the world seems fishy from where I stand.

What I want is to see and hear a file being ripped from CD, encoded to
MP3HD, then converted back to CD Audio, compared, and written back to
CD. Then rip that file from the CD just made and compare it to the FLAC
of the file ripped from the original CD. If those two FLAC files match,
then we can consider MP3HD a lossless storage format.

Now from their if that is successful, we have the bigger question of
whether the MP3HD files [i]Really[i] playback lossless since there is
something going on with the process of playing the side information. So
is it a lossless storage format that “almost” plays back lossless, but
not quite? Again, don’t know the answer to that question yet either.
But again the way they present it, makes one wonder.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Expedition: SB3, ToughBook