Some replies mentioning multi-cpu box versus single threaded server
process... that's the box that's available, so that's what I'm using.

Interesting to note responses showing no performance problems with
similar sized libraries (10k tracks). My setup is used exclusively
through the web interface - the player hardware is never controlled
through the remote, so perhaps it is the load from the web interface
that is causing the problem? Often there are ten or more users who have
the interface open to see what's playing. There is a plain text 'now
playing' page, but people tend just to leave the full interface open.

--
thomas