I use 7.3.2, and I have one of each of the newer units, Squeezebox3,
duet, and boom, so I can't go back too much farther. I saw a
SqueezeBox1 wired-only on craigslist (for $25 :) ) so I thought I'd add
it to my office as the software clients can't sync reliably either.

Unfortunately about half the time the SB1 starts playing just a little
later and the newer units pause for it to catch up about 5 seconds into
playing. For streaming and podcasts its not an issue, but in normal
playback its very annoying.

I tried playing with the Audio Startup time on the SB1, but I didn't
seem to make a difference, and unfortunately the rest of the players
started behaving unusual (not syncing and starting late) so I undid all
the changes.

7.3.x has been bulletproof with syncing between the SB2+ style hardware
for me.

My understanding was the syncing problems were due to the peculiarities
in the SqueezePlay code the inability of the other software clients to
poll the hardware on PCs to the same extent they can on hardware
clients.

The hardware polling isn't an issue, obviously since it does sync up
unlike the software clients, but I'm trying to figure out why the SB1
is starting late and is there anything I can do to fix it.

--
sander