When you plug the ethernet cable into the receiver, do you see an LED on
the receiver turn on?  I went through this process just last night (just
ran ethernet to the receiver).  I in-advertantly reset the controller
(it's not clear that the "reset to factory settings" from the
controller is a reset of the receiver as I was trying to do, or the
controller, which turned out to be the case).  Anyway, I simply held
the power button on the receiver down for a few seconds until the light
started blinking red (I believe).  After that I was able to get to the
screen to select wireless or wired.
It sounds like maybe you aren't getting the ethernet connection to the
receiver, so it is just defaulting to wireless.

--
tcutting