Pale Blue Ego;414372 Wrote:
> Audio streaming is mature technology.  Slim largely solved it with the
> SB2/SB3 and everything since then is an enhancement of that technology.
> Tell me, what new HARDWARE features are you clamoring for that would
> make you want to replace your current SB3/Duet/Boom with another
> Squeezebox audio-only player?  I'm pretty darn happy with my FIVE
> Squeezeboxes and unwilling to spend $2000 on a Transporter.  So, even
> though I'm an extremely loyal Squeeze fan, there's nothing for me to
> buy.
>
> Ignoring video will eventually kill the Squeezebox.  The current family
> of Networked Media Tanks costs LESS than the Squeezebox and includes
> playback of many audio, video, and graphics formats including hi-def
> video with multichannel audio.
>
> The NMTs also offer some things Squeezebox fans have wanted for a LONG
> time, like local storage - you can stick a 1TB hard drive in one of
> these and take your whole library with you.  NMTs do not require server
> software, they can discover and index media files anywhere on the LAN.
> Finally, they provide big-screen display of tag information and album
> art.
>
> We're entering a new era of networked media playback.  The next gen of
> Blu-ray players and flat-screen TVs will include playback of audio and
> video from anywhere on the LAN or the internet.  Many of the current
> Squeezebox features will be built in to commodity components.
>
> I myself have postponed a NMT purchase because I'm hoping Squeeze will
> soon enter this market.  But I can't wait any longer as I have hundreds
> of movies, homemade video projects, and TV episodes already loaded on my
> server and the family is clamoring for a way to stream them to the home
> theater.  Flipping discs is getting old, and I have no way to play on
> the big screen the many hi-def videos I have captured or created.
>
> I sure wish it was a SqueezeVideo I was ordering today.  Instead it's
> going to be the $219 HDX 1000.  Sorry, Logitech.

This sounds very interesting.  I'll need a full review if you get one.
:)  I don't really think that it would replace my SB3 as I like the
simple and quick elegance of it.  I think they would go side by side
and I do have one hdmi port left on my receiver ( 2 if I get rid of my
dvd player).  Thanks for pointing this out, I had never heard of it.
NR

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality