izzym;415514 Wrote:
> I've had a squeezebox 3 since Christmas. I use it almost all the time as
> an internet radio player through the squeezenetwork (ie, the computer is
> usually turned off, or not running squeezecenter).
> My wireless router is connected via a FIOS fiber optic connection up to
> the side of the house...I can stream full screen video with NO problems,
> so I know my connection is not the problem.
> Aside from the annoying buffering, this thing fails to respond to the
> remote FAR too often...20% to 30% of the time. Either it's WAY too slow
> to accept a command (several seconds go by ... what's it doing??) or it
> doesn't accept it at all. I have to physically unplug the SB to "reset"
> the damn thing. It loses the connection far too often, and won't respond
> to on/off commands, or the "hold-down" left button.
> Coming from a remote control mfr., I fund this intolerable. It's just
> way too flaky a unit for dependable operation. Is there any way to
> remedy this?

To rule out network or server issues, try navigating the firmware setup
menu. Just use the up and down arrows within a menu. If the setup menu
is responsive then you can be certain that the IR hardware is OK,
otherwise it is certainly defective. Also note that an IR issue would
_not_ cause delays, only lost commands.

If it's not the IR then it must be either a network or a server-side
issue. There are possible network problems besides bandwidth that could
be at fault, for example an IP conflict or bridging loop. Also,
successfully streaming video is not evidence of a low-latency,
low-packet-loss link. Those problems can be masked by sufficient
buffering, while still causing problems for interactive traffic. Try
running a ping and see if there is loss or delay that happens
concurrently with the UI lag.

The server software could be bogged down for some reason. A good way to
test that is to connect directly to Squeezenetwork instead. If SN is
faster over the internet than your local system, then you've probably
narrowed it down to  the server. It could be hurting for RAM or could
be busy scanning the disk for some reason (it's done scanning your
library, right?). Running Squeezecenter on another computer would be a
good test.

Our phone support is very experienced with this kind of
troubleshooting. You should try them next if none of the above helps.

--
seanadams