seanadams Wrote:
> Would it be fair to describe it as a "lower cost, DIY, potentially
> higher performance" alternative to a standalone iSCSI system (such as
> Promise)?
>
> I haven't used iSCSI yet myself but it seems like a sound concept...
> RAID subsystems work great but are too expensive on a per-GB basis for
> home servers.

At the lowest entry point, it would be fair to say what you mentioned
above, with the addition that it is much easier to create and allocate
disks on the fly and with no disruption using SANmelody as opposed to a
standalone solution.

For SMB's and Enterprise, the fact that they can keep their storage
management practice in place while upgrading underlying hardware, and
also use different manufacturers storage arrays is a huge benefit.
(When you upgrade a storage array you also "throw away" the software
functionality which is bound within the hardware as opposed to ugrading
the server as with you would with most applcations.)

Regarding iSCSI, we have found that the performance approximates that
of FC at the 1GB level (without using TOE's).

--
ob_kook