I could no longer see the tracks in "Browse Music" on my SB.  Just the
artists, and album names.  Yet I could select an album, and it would
play all the tracks.  So I attempted to do a rescan, and my Gentoo
Linux box became so unresponsive, I couldn't even shut it down.  When I
restart slimserver, the memory usage goes through the roof (768MB Ram),
and all my swap space gets used up, then everything dies again.

I also see this looping in the console....

Code:

  utf8 "\xB4" does not map to Unicode at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Formats/Parse.pm line 153, <GEN8> line 34.