[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> At some point when upgrading to 6.1.1, or maybe slightly before,
> significant modifications were made to my music subdirectory.  These
> include:
>
> 1.  Duplicate songs appearing under each album folder, such as:
>
> Soulive - Tuesday Night's Squad.mp3
> Soulive - Tuesday Night's Squad 1.mp3
> Soulive - Tuesday Night's Squad 2.mp3
>
> File sizes and creation dates are identical.  This did not
> occur to all
> albums - just certain ones.
>
> I have not confirmed this, but it might appear that the
> duplicates only
> occur if I have listed the particular some in one or more m3u
> playlists.

Yes, songs in m3u playlists get added to the library - at least this is true
for playlists not created with slimserver itself. I have tried creating
playlists using WinAmp and Media Center, and both cause duplicate entries to
be created in the library. In fact, if I make 5 copies of the same playlist,
it will add 5 additional entries for the same track in the library. This
makes playlists useless since they essentially corrupt the library by adding
multiple entries of the same track. Interestingly, this behavior does not
seem to occur when the playlist is created by slimserver itself. Even copies
of the original playlist do not result duplicate entries to the library.
However, for a number of reasons it is much easier to create playlists in
other programs than in Slimserver.

I have asked before about this behavior and have not received any response.
I do not understand why scanning playlists should add anything to the
library. Maybe there is a good reason for this behavior, but I do not see
it. The way I veiw it, the library should be a simple database of the tracks
available. A playlist, is a subset of those same tracks in a particular
order. Scanning a playlist should never add to the library itself.

By the way, my playlists are NOT located within my music directory. This is
with SlimServer Version: 6.2b1 - 4041 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252.

-Steve