I think you'll find a few people doing exactly that.

I'm running Windows Media Center, for all Live TV (including PVR), DVD,
movie library and music needs in the lounge. It provides DVI output to
the TV and digital audio output to the surround sound receiver.

It also hosts SqueezeCenter.

It doesn't need to be that powerful - mine's an ancient P4 2Ghz
processor, with 1GB RAM - but it still works admirably; The wife can be
watching TV while I'm listening to music via a SB upstairs. I'll
probably upgrade it when Windows 7 comes out.

As for tuner - I have a dual-tuner DVB PCI card (Hauppauge Nova-T
500).

The only concern is power consumption. Our Media Center uses ~80 watts,
which would make it pretty poor if it was just for SqueezeCenter. An
Atom box would obviously consume much less.

--
simbo

*bedroom:* squeezebox boom; *study:* squeezebox 3; *lounge:*
softsqueeze; *conservatory/garden:* squeezebox receiver; *anywhere:*
squeezebox controller
'last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/buggle52)