I don't know if there's a single location where you can contrast these
three "software" players (maybe somewhere on the wiki).
Here's my take:
Softsqueeze is a squeezebox player emulator.  It provides a GUI which
mimics the look of the squeezebox, with skins to emulate SB3/Classic,
Transporter.  It's useful if you don't have a squeezebox, but want to
get a good idea how it "looks and feels" - it even has a "virtual
remote".  Softsqueeze runs under Java. It's no longer "officially"
maintained by Logitech/Slim Devices, but there is some maintainance
being done by 3rd parties.
SqueezePlay is basically the software interface which runs on the
controller. It provides the GUI you find on the controller, with some
different skin(s) which make it more useable on a larger computer
screen.  It also includes an audio player.  This application IS being
developed and maintained by Logitech/Slim.  The audio playback function
(in SqueezePlay and on the actual controller) is currently in beta
state.  It promises ultimately better compatibility - can play more
audio formats/data rates compared to the other players.
Squeezeslave is the "simplest" of the players.  It is usually run by a
"shell" (command line), and runs without a GUI at all.  It's likely the
one which uses the least resources on the computer it's running under
(cpu cycles, memory).  I believe it's written in c++.  It may be the
most limited in terms of supported formats (for example, doesn't support
sample rates other than 44.1kHz).  It's not supported by Logitech/Slim,
but there is still some 3rd party development/support going on.  This is
actually what I run on my desktop PC because it can just be fired up,
and doesn't use a GUI at all (I either use my controller, web interface,
or Moose as user interface on my desktop machine).
Hope that helps.  As I write this, I seem to recall there is some form
of comparison on the wiki, so if I find it, I'll post a link.

Tom

--
tcutting