RonM;441964 Wrote:
> My question was really about lossless formats, so in reality the
> question is about Apple lossless, WMA lossless and flac (I know there
> are others).  I was just wondering if the way SC handles the files was
> different in some way that effects the data transfer rate -- are they
> generally the same in terms of bandwidth requirements over the network,
> or are any more efficient?
It depends on the format in which you are sending the files across the
network. Under SC Settings > Advanced > File types you can choose, for
example, to have Apple Lossless (ALAC) transcoded to MP3, FLAC or WAV.
Those three choices will chew up network bandwidth in increasing order
of severity. The SB players do not support ALAC directly, so some
transcoding needs to be done on the server, and that choice determines
the bandwith requirements. I think the same is true for WMA Lossless,
but I'm not sure as I don't follow those developments closely. A
compressed format like FLAC will generally be less demanding of
bandwidth than an uncompressed format like WAV or AIFF.

--
aubuti