Though a bit off-topic for Squeezebox, lots of us vast FLAC collections
that, in addition to running though our various Logitech players, we'd
like to be able to use on portable players: few of which support FLAC.

That's for a reason, of course: FLAC file sizes are very large compared
to MP3; and many players can't really live up to FLAC quality anyway.
And it's also true that there are plenty of easy programs that will do a
quick down-covert of FLAC to MP3.

But, as I say, if you've got a massive FLAC collection at home, it's
really very convenient to be able to throw a select few albums etc onto
a portable player without having to do conversions..... (of course,
Controller does a wonderful job - but only up to 50 feet from base!)

So this topic comes up from time to time here in Squeezebox forums.  Mr
Google produces this useful recent CNet round up:

http://tinyurl.com/ku4yfj

but I'm wondering if members here can throw in their own recent
observations and experiences.  A general question I have is "do these
several players support gapless FLAC playback?".  I've got a lot of
classical / opera where gapless is really crucial.  For example, a buddy
told me that a iPod can easily be hacked - with RockBox firmware - to
support FLAC - but he *thought* it was not gapless.....

So: thoughts, experiences?

--
agbagb

AGB

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.3.2 - 24695 under Vista.
2 x SB3s, wireless, usually in sync. (Firmware 123 on both)
LinkSys WRT54GX2 / SRX 200 Router, WPA2.
Controller 7.3 r3993.