It has been my experience that it is important to focus on what is
"wrong" with the sound you have and go from there.

If the audio is "uninvolved" it could be do to thinness or lack of
tonal depth - sometimes referred to as timber. What I noticed when I
went to a t-amp is that I got tonal depth - the notes seemed to be more
"fleshed out" rather than an emphasis on the leading edge.

Some highly upsampled and oversampled dacs that are not done right seem
thin in sound. Thats why some prefer the NOS (non oversampled) type of
DAC. Thinness is probably also an issue of an inadequate power supply on
the DAC.

Tubes add timber and depth (color) - many like that! - The Modwright
transporter adds both tubes and a beefy power supply, along with other
tweeks. Big bucks though! - almost $4K before you are done!

I have the unmodded Transporter - I really like it, but I have it mated
to a t-amp and I have euphonic caps in my maggies to add some of that
tube like sound. I am quite sure the Modwright would sound better! -
Just cant spring for the upgrade right now.

If I were looking for a DAC upgrade and had the cash I would go for the
Modwright and not look back. It is WAY more flexable that any other DAC
out there and I highly doubt you could beat the sound for less than $5K.

check it out!

--
earwaxer

Waxer