I'm interested.  I was going to do something like this myself.

I'm a developer, but have not worked with LUA (nor have I even heard of
it).

I have a CAM6.6 and 4 UNO-S2 keypads.  I also have a PC running
homeseer which connects physically via the RS232 interface, and I bought
a plug in from HomeSeer to control the Russound.  There is not a lot of
control going on between home seer and the russound Amp - the only
functionality I have implemented is turning off all zones when the home
alarm comes on.  I use a fifth Russound zone as a 'home Security'
channel - it says "Front door open" in the middle of the night to wake
us up if someone is breaking into the house!  It also plays door bell
sounds when the front door bell rings.  This 5th zone does not have a
controller, so I also use the HomeSeer -> Russound connection to make
sure this zone is always on and switched to the correct channel - there
is a macto that runs daily to switch that zone to the Home Seer sound
card from the Homeseer PC (the home seer makes noises and talks).

I could sacrifice the RS232 - Rusound connection.  I was thinking of
functionality like:

If you switched to the Squeeze box zone using the SqueezeBox using a
UNO-S2 keypad, then the up and down buttons could scroll through the
'Favorite' items on the Russound. The play button could start the
selected favorite. Left and right buttons could skip forward and back in
the selected playlist.

I think it would be rediculous to try and port the entire controller
functionality to the UNO-S2 keypad - you don't have enough ability to
scroll to allow you to scroll through hundreds of artists or albums.

I was thinking of developing this as a homeseer plug in.  That would
allow me to maintain my existing Homeseer->Russound connection. That
assumes HomeSeer allows multiple devices to connect to the serial port
connected to the Russound.

----
When you say you are seeing what interest there is out there, are you
interested in working on this with others like me on this?  I have a
fairly extensive range of servers and gear to test this on.  I run Mac
Mini, Linux (CentOS) and Windows XP in the house. The Home Seer machine
that is physically next to the Russound amp is a Windows XP machine.
This will probably have to be the machine that connects to the Russound.

--
autefrum