Jack Coates said the following on 06/09/2005 00:16:
Robin Bowes wrote:

Why's that? supervise, svc, multilog, all really useful tools.

They've alway struck me as an attempt to reimplement SysV init scripts for distros that don't do SysV. I haven't missed their functionality.

No, they do more than that.

SysV init scripts just launch a service when you enter a particular run level (and stop it when you leave, possibly).

supervise starts and monitors a service, i.e. if the service dies for whatever reason supervise re-launches it pretty much immediately.

svc is just a tools to control supervise'd services.

multilog is a more reliable way to log than syslog.

I've not seen Nagios before, but it's not really the same sort of thing as daemontools.

Looks quite neat, though.

Nagios is up there with Slimserver in coolness. Nagios can be tough to configure, but it's amazingly flexible and really quite smart. A glowing example of open source software that beats the pants off of commercial alternatives.

I'll maybe check it out some time when I've got a minute (yeah, right!)

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,